This is a somewhat separate addition to the in-depth guide of ToMM
While the guide focuses in depth on how things work, here I will try to focus on common mistakes and some tips.
This is probably the most basic and most important part.
This positioning has several advantages:
- The healers have a clear view of both the tanks and the DPS. Allowing them to see the HP of all members and to identify the roles easily.
- Paladins can cast a single barrier on the whole group, giving a better chance of getting an assured critical barrier on everyone.
- Allowed the Clerics to cast the shield on the tanks if needed.
- Easy to regroup, in cases if Hypothermia or other split mechanics, the paladin joins the tanks and the other healer the DPS.
- No ranged DPS, forget this concept, everyone need to hug Halastar’s ass. If you can’t tell the color of his underwear, or if he has any (who knows when it’s laundry day), you are standing way too far.
- Reform back fast – Do not dawdle if you got out of position, a good chance is that the Paladin waiting for everyone to reform to cast barrier, or you are in the way, standing on top of a tank or a healer.
- Tanks – Do not move too far on the annihilate balls, it creates several issues:
- Harder for the healers to get to you.
- Can’t heal the DPS and you with a single hit.
- If you are not back in time / fast enough, Halastar will move towards you, creating a moving train that eventually will loose position, with the dps forgotten at the back. More so, many skills, buffs and debuffs are positional, Paladin Circle of Power, staff of flower, banners, etc.. Nothing like casting a Circle of Power and having Halastar chasing a tank just two steps out of range.
- You end up cornering yourself, leaving no room to move away on annihilate. Keep Halastar in the middle, so everyone can spread, break chains, spread on magnetism signs and so on.
- Easier for you (tanks) to hug on Duumvirate if you are not continents apart.
Voice Chat Tips
- Chickens and other noise – Healers are interested to know that the other healer can’t heal for some reason. Tanks need to know if the other tank can’t take fireball or grab aggro. No one really needs to know if a dps can’t dps unless they are going to die (stuck in ice farther away). Adding unnecessary information, as much as fun as it is, can distract others.
- There should be one caller for debuffs, synchronizing debuffs will help to use dailies at the debuff window and optimize damage.
- Target your communication – Happens a lot on chains, when people just say “we have the same”, there are 9 other players, some may think it is addressed to them, and run back… Please be concrete, if you want to say to someone say by name.
- Watch for the elements, Halastar attack by element groups, you saw lightning, you will see more of it, you saw ice, you will get more ice. On first phase, it’s one element at a time, on third, you can see the elemnets combination by the giant floating balls in the background.
- There are sequences, for example: Fireball comes after eruption.
- On ice, start hitting it straight, just don’t destroy it if there is a storm attack. But reducing the ice health can save time, and save players if the DPS are trapped in the ice.
- First phase, reform back in the middle fast. Third phase, do not rush to the middle until Halastar actually landed there.
- First phase, on whirlwind, everyone stay on one side of it. On third phase, split by groups for Hypothermia.
- Important! On phase 3, if Halastar is now down, then immediately watch for him up. Do not run like headless chicken in random directions or look what others do (that will get you only so far), search for him and wait to see what hand he is charging.
- If the first DPS check is not going smooth, do not spam the debuffs at the start, there is a time when the hand is not targatble, so you can miss some, and more importantly, waiting a bit gives time for various stacks to build up, bleeding, ebony gear, and so on, also benefiting a bit more from orcus set due to lower target HP.
- There is a new fashion system – you can use it, to help players find other key players. Nothing like an orange jumping lizard to know when the caller says “come to me”. Or help the healers find the tanks quickly.
- Gladiators Guile is your friend, 1 is good, more is better. And any movement bonuses are great, it can greatly help especially if the players slower to react.